Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Work In Progress, Auction in Progress!

I completed my artwork--"Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters"--in time to send it out to auction on the 8th, like a ship at sea. Here's hoping it finds the right home, and benefits the gorillas and rangers in the process!

"Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters"



Since the fairy tale comes from Zimbabwe, I was inspired by the art of that country. Stone sculpture has always been a main art form there, so for the background designs of my piece, I took my cues from ancient stone carvings. One type of stone used in Zimbabwe’s sculpture is “serpentine”! I thought that was an amazing metaphor for the king in the tale. With that thought in mind, I tried to mimic the colors of serpentine stone with my paints. It’s a bit easier to see the shades of colors in person, but it still translates decently.

Our auction to benefit the rangers and mountain gorillas of the Congo is going strong! We have 107 listings already! Seven days to go--it’s very exciting, and I welcome everyone to stop by and take a tour of inspiring artwork!

Christine Taylor (eBay ID: mousewords)

No comments: