Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Senkewe, a Tribute to a Leader

Senkewe by Robin J. Andreae
11" x 14" Acrylics on stretched canvas
08/21/2007
I finally finished this painting for the auction. It's a tribute to Senkewe, the silverback leader of the Rugendo family. He was one of the victims in the last attack on the gorillas. It's painted from a composite from several photos that I could find of this majestic leader. I only hope that it does him justice. It's kind of strange, I unintentially put what looks like a scar on his upper lip, like the one Crazy Horse has. They say Crazy Horse's spirit lives on in those who remember. He was the defefender of the Lakota people. ~ Robin J. Andreae

4 comments:

Lisa Hickey said...

Robin, It is beautiful. I know for sure that Senkewe's spirit will live on for me.

Robin Andreae said...

Thank you for the wonderful compliment, Lisa

Lisa Hickey said...

Robin,

My Dad painted me a beautiful painting of a Mother and Daughter Giraffe. I love it. Would it be possible to donate a print of that to the Auction in September and how could I send you a picture of it so that you can see it?

Lisa

Art Helping Mountain Gorillas said...

Hi Lisa,
It sounds lovely. If you or your father would like sell the print on eBay during our auction, you are welcome to join our eBay group, Art Helping Mountain Gorillas (WDGP). For this auction, each artist is responsible for selling his or her own work and donating to Wildlife Direct the pledged percentage. We would be more than happy to assist you with any questions about setting up your auction.
Than you for supporting the Mountain Gorillas & Wildlife Direct!